For details about the Day Getaway click here.
“It felt safe and was like a breath of healing fresh air for COVID weary souls.” -Getaway guest
Are you in need of a retreat? An opportunity to take a break from your home and stress of daily life? Come getaway to the peaceful woods this season and be renewed.
We’ll provide a comfortable cabin , hot meals delivered to your doorstep, trails to explore, and the shores of Shavehead Lake by which to be renewed. Bring your family, a friend, or simply come on your own. All are welcome. As you step away from the routines of life at home, we trust the Camp Getaway will provide you and your family with time to reconnect and to be renewed by the beauty of God’s creation.
Nov 27-29 – Thanksgiving (special menu) – Full
Dec 18-20 FULL
$260 (Cabin lodging – flat rate) + Meals ($ per person)
$50 – Full portion meals
$30 – Half portion meals
Please note that inquiries are not reservations until you receive a confirmation.
Frequently Asked Questions
How will the Camp Getaway experience be different from a typical Family Camp or program?
The Camp Getaway is an alternative to the intensive programming offered during a typical week/end at camp that seeks to bring people together. For example, we will not provide childcare or gather together in Mosquito Hollow for singing. Additionally, buildings that are typically used to gather (i.e. Dining Hall, Game Room, Nature Center, Cottonwood Center) will remain closed. While the Camp Getaway IS different, we trust that it will be a welcomed opportunity to reconnect in the peaceful woods.
I’m worried about the weather. What if it’s cold and rainy all weekend?
We’ve got you covered. We moved around bunks in each cabin to make space for a soft sofa or chairs, lamps, and a small table to eat around. While we’d encourage you to get outdoors no matter the weather, we’re sure you could still have a relaxing, rejuvenating weekend if you choose to spend more time huddled around a campfire or cozied up with a good book in the cabin. Rain, snow, or shine – the peaceful woods will bestow it’s peace!
What activities will be available during the Camp Getaway?
If you’re looking for things to do, we’ve got you covered. There is a wide variety of activities available during your stay including:
- Camp guided activities (additional cost = $40/activity). Indicate interest during the inquiry process. As one guest shared, “We loved the activities the most! Amy and Skye were very knowledgeable about the nature and environment that makes Camp such an unique place. “
- You’ll find a self-guided activity manual in your cabin to help you connect more deeply with the world around you. Fun for all ages.
- 6 miles of hiking trails with destination points
- Sledding and tube run (weather permitting)
- Cross country skiing (weather permitting)
- Campfire (fire pit, firewood, and fire starter provided)
- Boating (canoe and kayak – weather permitting)
- Playground with swings
- Gaga ball and four square
- Outdoor basketball, soccer, tennis court (BYO equipment), sand volleyball, and grass volleyball.
- Disc golf course
- Carpetball and Foosball (outside Dining Hall)
- Yard games (i.e. croquet, bocce ball, spike ball) in the cupboard near the cement grill in front of the Dining Hall
- Biking (on the main roads around Camp Friedenswald and Shavehead Lake); biking trails at local Dr Lawless Park – 5 miles from Camp
Will the tube run be open?
Weather permitting, we have several great outdoor winter activities to keep the whole family happy. From a FUN tube run, to sledding, to cross country skiing (equipment available), we’ve got you covered for an active winter weekend.
What will mealtime look like?
Imagine a whole weekend without having to give thought to what to cook. No dirty dishes to wash! And tasty, quality meals that appeal to the whole family. Each Getaway will include five meals and two snacks (and a homemade cinnamon roll!) Click here for a sample menu.
We also provide a casual “pizza pick up” on the evening of your arrival. Between 6-6:30 pm, come to the front of the Dining Hall and a slice of pizza, chips, fruit and cookie will greet you. You can eat outside the Dining Hall or carry it back to your cabin’s picnic table.
All other meals will be delivered directly to your cabin at meal time. Each cabin will have an outdoor picnic table provided. At the end of the hour, Camp staff will return to pick up any leftovers and to retrieve your dirty dishes. Morning coffee will be delivered at 7:30 am (with a cinnamon roll on Sunday). Listen for the sound of the bell to know when it’s time to eat!
A thermos of ice water will be provided and refilled throughout the weekend. Bags of ice are also available, upon request. We will provide all necessary utensils and tableware for meals, but please bring a water bottle and coffee thermos/mug. An electric kettle is provided in each cabin, along with tea and hot chocolate, to keep you warm on a chilly day.
Can I bring my own food?
Cabins do not include kitchen facilities, and so we invite you to kick back and relax – and let us do the cooking! The Camp Getaway is designed as a “package” – and so we ask that everyone participate in the meal plan. Vegetarian and vegan menu options are provided, and other dietary restrictions will be accommodated. Please indicate any dietary restrictions in advance of your arrival on your inquiry form.
If you enjoy your snacks, feel free to pack along some extra munchies, but we think you’ll be happy with the quantity and quality of meals served. We’ll get you started with a welcome basket with the fixings for an evening of s’mores.
What is Camp Friedenswald doing to help reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19 at Camp?
- Camp staff will comply with executive orders from the State of Michigan and follow guidance from the State and Centers of Disease Control.
- Camp staff will observe social distancing when interacting with you and will wear a face covering when interacting with you
- Camp staff will thoroughly clean and disinfect high touch surfaces in your lodging before your arrival
- Shared indoor common spaces will remain closed (i.e. Dining Hall, Game room, Cottonwood, Nature Center)
- Shared outdoor spaces with high touch surfaces will be cleaned daily
- Camp staff will be available (by radio) throughout your stay to address needs and concerns as they arise.
- Limited number of people/groups on site at any given time
What expectations does Camp have of me during my stay to help maintain a healthy community?
In compliance with orders from the State of Michigan, and out of a desire to protect the health of Camp staff and guests, we ask you to observe and commit to the following:
- Perform a health check before/during/after camp stay
- Stay home if you currently are experiencing, or have experienced, COVID-19 related symptoms in the past 10 days
- Notify Camp staff if you begin to experience symptoms while at Camp (and be prepared to leave immediately)
- Notify Camp staff if COVID-19 symptoms develop for you or someone in your group up to 10 days after leaving Camp
- Follow social distancing guidelines and maintain at least 6 feet distance from people outside your household
- Wear a face covering when interacting with someone from outside your household
- Wash hands with soap and water frequently during your stay
- Abide by scheduled activity times in order to allow for social distancing
- Communicate your concern of social distancing directly with other guests, if necessary
I would like to come with another family or group of friends. Can I do that?
Yes, we welcome extended families or groups of friends to inquire about availability for the same weekend. In fact, the Getaway has proven to be a perfect way for families to see each other in the midst of a pandemic. We will do our best to accommodate your requests, when possible.
I’d like to arrive a day early (or stay an extra) night. Could I add an additional day to the Getaway?
We will work with you to accommodate your needs. Just note this on your inquiry form and we can see if it can be arranged.
When can I arrive?
On Friday, or your day of arrival, we welcome you to come to Camp any time after 2 pm. Please let us know if you need to make other arrangements.
What should I pack? Are linens included?
Here’s a list of items we suggest you bring to Camp:
Please note linens are not provided.
- Sleeping bag/bedding for twin beds (north cabins have one queen bed)
- Towels (bath and hand towel)
- Clothing (boots, coats, and mittens)
- Toiletries (shampoo, soap, toothpaste, toothbrush, etc.)
- Mosquito/tick repellent
- Hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes
- Coffee mug or drinking cup
- Water bottle
- First aid kit
- Table cloth (for picnic table)
- Lawn chairs and/or hammock
- Games/playing cards
- Flashlight and/or nightlight
Is Wi-Fi available during my stay?
While we hope you can take this opportunity to unplug, we know that sometimes you just need to send that email! Wi-Fi is available outside the Dining Hall.
Can I reserve a full lodge for my family?
We’d be happy to have you stay in one of our lodges! You can inquire here. In compliance with the State of Michigan’s guidelines, indoor gatherings are limited based on square footage. Maximum occupancy is listed here.
Can my friends/family join us for the day?
We ask that during this time you refrain from inviting visitors to join you for the day. We want to be mindful of the number of people at Camp at any giving time.If each family invited friends for the day, we’d have more people on-site than we would like to have during this time.
Will the camp store be open for me to get the latest Friedenswald gear?
While the actual store won’t be open inside the Dining Hall, we’d be happy to send you home with a new Friedenswald t-shirt (or book!) Check-out the online camp store before your arrival, and instructions will be waiting in your cabin if would like to purchase an item or two. You can pay by cash, check, or credit card.
Is there a place I can charge my electric car during my stay?
Yes! We have a level 2 EV charger available for free for camp guests. It is located behind Hickory cabin. Just let us know if you need help finding it.
What do I need to do before arrival? How do I pay?
In order to reduce the need for close interaction between you and staff, we ask that all paperwork and payment is received in advance of your stay. We will need your signed contract, COVID-19 release form (one per family), and total payment before your arrival. You can pay online or send payment to: 15406 Watercress Way, Cassopolis, MI 49031
We also ask that everyone in your family conducts a self-health check to ensure that everyone is healthy before coming to Camp. If you or anyone in your family has any of the following symptoms, please stay home.
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
I attended a summer Getaway and loved it! How will a winter Getaway experience compare?
We’re so glad you had a great time this summer and wish to return! As the seasons change, so do some of the activities at Camp (i.e. the lake or slip-in-slide might not be as enticing), but we’ve added some new options to help make up for it. For the fall and winter season, we have added soft seating in the cabins where you can read a book or just relax.
You’ll find instructions in your cabin for self-guided activities to help you and your family connect more deeply with the world around you. We are also offering select staff-guided activities. You can see the full list of activities, along with further details here. You may indicate your interest in a guided activity on your inquiry form and we’ll add it to your Getaway package.
We’ve also tweaked the meals slightly based on your feedback. Pizza pick-up dinner on Friday evening and brunch on Sunday! Keep reading for more info.
Important note from Camp Friedenswald:
While we are excited to provide a Camp Getaway, if at any point we determine we are unable to remain open due to safety or health concerns, we reserve the right to modify or cancel any booking. Thanks in advance for your flexibility and patience as we adjust to the changes in operating that are required in the midst of a global pandemic. We care for the health and safety of our staff, campers (you!), and the communities in which we live.
What are people saying about their Getaway experience?
We felt that Camp did a great job of establishing safety measures and setting the tone of physical distancing needed to make us feel comfortable and to allow for lots of fun activities. We were very glad our kids, who would usually get to be at Camp for a week of summer camp, were able to spend time at Camp. We also very much appreciated the family time, spent in nature. And, so many days into the pandemic, with a lot of time together in the house, it was good to have a different environment and different activities. Thank you!
We honestly give everything 5 stars. I feel like you all thought of everything we needed and then you added some extra things like S’mores, and trail maps in the cabins and delicious desserts that we didn’t even know we needed.
We really appreciated all the amazing activities – the toboggan slide, the diving board and water slide, the canoes/kayaks, and the amazing food and nightly fires — that we were able to enjoy without feeling over-crowded or otherwise concerned about social distancing. It was a real luxury to be able to get away in this way.
Our family loved not having to worry about coordinating cooking or cleaning. For the introverts, the ability to vacation without any worries AND without any required socializing was perfect. We also enjoyed having our own campfire to sing around and roast s’mores on.
Great chance to relax in a beautiful setting, and it felt like such a safe way to see friends.