Are you in need of a retreat, but really appreciate the comfort of your own bed? Would you like to provide some outdoor enrichment for children who are completing some or all of their schooling online? We would love to welcome you to a Day Getaway in the peaceful woods.
We have trails to explore and the shores of Shavehead Lake by which to be renewed. Interested in guided outdoor education classes for your family or close group of friends? Check out our staff-led activities. We trust the Day Getaway will provide you and your loved ones with time to reconnect and be renewed by the beauty of God’s creation.
As part of the Day Getaway, you’ll be assigned your own cabin (for restrooms, resting, porch, picnic table), and will have access to your very own fire pit. You’ll also have access to all the outdoor space and amenities you love at Camp Friedenswald.
Contact us to find a day that suits you!
- $10/person, $40 minimum per cabin (Cost includes access to all Camp activities listed below, private cabin with restroom, sinks, beds, picnic table, fire pit, firewood, fire starter, and self-guided nature activities binder)
- Families/small groups may request private staff-led activities for $40 per activity.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How long is a Day Getaway?
Arrive anytime after 9:30 a.m. You’re invited to stay all day, departing by 8:00 p.m. The day is yours!
What can I expect from the Day Getaway?
Our Day Getaway is really just a shortened version of our Camp Getaway experience without camp provided meals. You will have your very own private cabin for the day with a restroom, picnic table, fire pit, and comfy spot for those who appreciate an afternoon siesta. You will need to bring your own lunch and snacks for the Day Getaway. Cabins do not have kitchens or refrigerators, so you will need to bring coolers and ice, as needed. But feel free to use your fire pit to cook a meal!
Upon arrival, you’ll find instructions in your cabin for self-guided activities to help you and your family connect more deeply with the world around you. We are also offering select staff-guided activities, like a rare habitats and wild edibles hike, fire building with flint and steel, and aquatic macro-invertebrate exploration. You can see the full list of activities, along with further details here. You may indicate your interest in a guided activity on your inquiry form and we’ll add it to your Day Getaway package. Staff led activities will take place between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
What activities will be available during the Day Getaway?
If you’re looking for things to do, we’ve got you covered. A wide variety of activities are available during your stay including:
- Camp guided nature activities (additional cost = $40/activity). Indicate interest during the inquiry process.
- 6 miles of hiking trails with destination points
- Campfire (fire pit, firewood, and fire starter provided)
- Self-guided nature activities – instructions available in the cabin upon arrival (i.e. nature scavenger hunt, nature sculptures, nature sit-spot, etc.)
- Boating (canoe and kayak)
- Playground with swings
- Gaga ball and four square
- Outdoor basketball, soccer, tennis court (BYO equipment), and sand volleyball
- Disc golf course
- Carpetball (outside Dining Hall)
- Yard games (i.e. croquet, bocce ball)
- Biking (on the main roads around Camp Friedenswald and Shavehead Lake); biking trails at local Dr Lawless Park – 5 miles from Camp
Will the beach be open?
While canoes and kayaks are available for use, please be advised that the water is extremely cold this time of year, should you fall in. Please proceed with caution and at your own risk.
What is Camp Friedenswald doing to help reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19 at Camp?
- Camp staff will comply with executive orders from the State of Michigan and follow guidance from the State and Centers of Disease Control.
- Camp staff will observe social distancing when interacting with you and will wear a mask if/when interacting indoors or within close proximity
- Camp staff will thoroughly clean and disinfect high touch surfaces in your lodging before your arrival
- Shared indoor common spaces will remain closed (i.e. Dining Hall, Cottonwood Center, Nature Center)
- Shared outdoor spaces with high touch surfaces will be cleaned daily
- Camp staff will be available (by radio) throughout your stay to address needs and concerns as they arise.
- Limited number of people/groups on site at any given time
What expectations does Camp have of me during my stay to help maintain a healthy community?
In compliance with orders from the State of Michigan, and out of a desire to protect the health of Camp staff and guests, we ask you to observe and commit to the following:
- Perform a health check before/during/after camp stay
- Stay home if you currently are experiencing, or have experienced, COVID-19 related symptoms in the past 10 days
- Notify Camp staff if you begin to experience symptoms while at Camp (and be prepared to leave immediately)
- Notify Camp staff if COVID-19 symptoms develop for you or someone in your group up to 10 days after leaving Camp
- Follow social distancing guidelines and maintain at least 6 feet distance from people outside your household
- Wear a face mask when interacting with someone from outside your household
- Wash hands with soap and water frequently during your stay
- Communicate your concern of social distancing directly with other guests, if necessary
I’d like to stay for the night. Could I add an additional day?
We will work with you to accommodate your needs. Just note this on your inquiry form and we can see if it can be arranged.
What should I pack?
Please note the cabins do NOT have kitchens or linens, so ice, refrigeration, and pillows are not provided.
Here’s a list of items we suggest you bring to Camp:
- Towels (bath and hand towels)
- Clothes (boots, coats, and mittens)
- Slippers (this time of year the cement floor can be cold)
- Mosquito/tick repellent
- Hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes
- Reusable water bottle (water in cabins is drinkable)
- First aid kit
- Food/drinks for meals/snacks
- Picnic ware*, table cloth for picnic table
- Lawn chairs
- Pillows and blankets for napping
*We aim for zero waste as much as possible. You can help support that goal by using reusable dinnerware. Camp reusable dinnerware is available upon request. Please let us know if you’d like this during the inquiry process, and it will be in your cabin upon arrival.
Is Wi-Fi available during my stay?
While we hope you can take this opportunity to unplug, we know that sometimes you just need to send that email! Wi-Fi is available outside the Dining Hall.
Can I reserve a full lodge for my family?
We’d be happy to have you stay in one of our lodges! You can inquire here. However, in compliance with the State of Michigan’s reopening plan, indoor gatherings over 10 people are not permitted.
Can my friends/family join us for the day?
You are welcome to invite others to join you. The Getaway has proven to be a perfect way for friends and family to see each other in the midst of a pandemic. The cost for the Day Getaway is $10 per person. We ask that you limit the number of people planning to share a cabin to 10 to comply with executive orders in Michigan. The minimum cost per cabin is $40.
Will the camp store be open for me to get the latest Friedenswald gear?
While the actual store won’t be open inside the Dining Hall, we’d be happy to send you home with a new Friedenswald t-shirt (or book!) Check-out the online camp store before your arrival, and simply notify staff that you would like to purchase an item or two. You can pay by cash, check, or credit card.
Is there a place I can charge my electric car during my stay?
Yes! We have a level 2 EV charger available for free to camp guests. It is located behind Hickory cabin. Just let us know if you need help finding it.
What do I need to do before arrival? How do I pay?
In order to reduce the need for close interaction between you and staff, we ask that all paperwork and payment is received in advance of your stay. We will need a signed contract, COVID-19 release form (one per family), and total payment before your arrival. You can pay online or send payment to: 15406 Watercress Way, Cassopolis, MI 49031
We also ask that everyone in your family conducts a self-health check to ensure that everyone is healthy before coming to Camp. If you or anyone in your family has any of the following symptoms, please stay home.
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
Important note from Camp Friedenswald:
While we are excited to provide a Day Getaway, if at any point we determine we are unable to remain open due to safety or health concerns, we reserve the right to modify or cancel any booking. Thanks in advance for your flexibility and patience as we adjust to the changes in operating that are required in the midst of a global pandemic. We care for the health and safety of our staff, campers (you!), and the communities in which we live.