Frequently Asked Questions
How will the Camp Getaway experience be different from a typical Family Camp or program?
The Camp Getaway is an alternative to the intensive programming offered during a typical weekend at camp that seeks to bring people together. Instead, families are invited to enjoy a slower pace and to take in the beauty and peace of camp on their own schedule.
What activities will be available during the Camp Getaway?
If you’re looking for things to do, we’ve got you covered. There is a wide variety of activities available during your stay including:
- Camp guided activities (additional cost = $40/activity). Indicate interest during the inquiry process. As one guest shared, “We loved the activities the most! Amy and Skye were very knowledgeable about the nature and environment that makes Camp such an unique place. “ (Not available at all Getaways).
- You’ll find a self-guided activity manual in your cabin to help you connect more deeply with the world around you. Fun for all ages.
- 6 miles of hiking trails with destination points
- Sandy beach and swim area (with diving board and slides)
- Sledding and tube run (weather permitting)
- Cross country skiing (weather permitting)
- Campfire (fire pit, firewood, and fire starter provided)
- Boating (canoe and kayak – weather permitting)
- Playground with swings
- Gaga ball and four square
- Outdoor basketball, soccer, tennis court (BYO equipment), sand volleyball, and grass volleyball.
- Disc golf course
- Carpetball and Foosball (outside Dining Hall)
- Yard games (i.e. croquet, bocce ball, spike ball) in the cupboard near the cement grill in front of the Dining Hall
- Biking (on the main roads around Camp Friedenswald and Shavehead Lake); biking trails at local Dr Lawless Park – 5 miles from Camp
What will mealtime look like?
Imagine a whole week/end without having to give thought to what to cook. No dirty dishes to wash! And tasty, quality meals that appeal to the whole family. Each weekend Getaway will include five meals beginning with a “pizza pick up” on the evening of your arrival. Between 6-6:30 pm, come to the front of the Dining Hall and a slice of pizza, chips, fruit and cookie will greet you. You can eat outside the Dining Hall or carry it back to your cabin’s picnic table. (For the summer Getaway meal times will vary.)
All other meals will be served out of the Dining Hall, with reusable “to-go” containers to fill with the foods you love – or you can choose to stay in the Dining Hall. Picnic tables are available on the cabin porch, or you can head to the beach or another favorite spot around camp to enjoy your meal. At the end of the meal, used dishes and any leftover food will be brought back up to the Dining Hall and we’ll take care of the cleaning the dishes so you can relax. Listen for the sound of the bell to know when it’s time to eat!
Vegetarian and vegan menu options are provided, and other dietary restrictions will be accommodated as much as possible. Please indicate any dietary restrictions in advance of your arrival on your inquiry form.
I would like to come with another family or group of friends. Can I do that?
Yes, we welcome extended families or groups of friends to inquire about availability for the same weekend. In fact, the Getaway has proven to be a perfect way for families to see each other in the midst of a pandemic. We will do our best to accommodate your requests, when possible.
I’d like to arrive a day early (or stay an extra) night. Could I add an additional day to the Getaway?
We will work with you to accommodate your needs. Just note this on your inquiry form and we can see if it can be arranged.
When can I arrive?
You may arrive any time after 2 pm. Please let us know if you need to make other arrangements.
What should I pack? Are linens included?
Here’s a list of items we suggest you bring to Camp:
Please note: linens are not provided.
- Sleeping bag/bedding for twin beds (north cabins have one queen bed)
- Towels (bath and hand towel)
- Clothing (boots, coats, and mittens)
- Toiletries (shampoo, soap, toothpaste, toothbrush, etc.)
- Mosquito/tick repellent
- Hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes
- Coffee mug or drinking cup
- Water bottle
- First aid kit
- Table cloth (for picnic table)
- Lawn chairs and/or hammock
- Games/playing cards
- Flashlight and/or nightlight
Is Wi-Fi available during my stay?
While we hope you can take this opportunity to unplug, we know that sometimes you just need to send that email! Wi-Fi is available in and around the Dining Hall.
Can I reserve a full lodge for my family?
We’d be happy to have you stay in one of our lodges! You can inquire here. Please note that we use cabins for the Getaway.
Is there a place I can charge my electric car during my stay?
Yes! We have a level 2 EV charger available for free for camp guests. It is located behind Hickory cabin. Just let us know if you need help finding it.
What do I need to do before arrival? How do I pay?
To keep things simple, we ask that all paperwork and payment be made advance of your stay. We will need your signed contract and total payment before your arrival. You can pay online or send payment to: 15406 Watercress Way, Cassopolis, MI 49031
We also ask that everyone in your family conducts a self-health check to ensure that everyone is healthy before coming to Camp. If you or anyone in your family has any of the following symptoms, please stay home.
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea