Are you in need of a Getaway? An opportunity to take a break from your home and the constant stress of daily life? Come Getaway to the peaceful woods! We’ll provide a comfortable cabin, hot meals delivered to your doorstep, plenty of trees and green space to explore, and the waters of Shavehead Lake to be renewed. Bring your family, a friend, or simply come on your own. All are welcome.
August 7-9 (FULL)
August 18-20 (Tue-Thur)
August 28-30 (Fri-Sun)
Sept 4-6 (Fri-Sun) (FULL)
Fall Camp Getaways – TBA
Space is limited, so please inquire soon to reserve your spot!
$260 (Cabin lodging – flat rate) + Meals (per person)
$40 – Full portion meals
$25 – Half portion meals
Please note that inquiries are not reservations until you receive a confirmation from Camp staff.
Frequently Asked Questions
How will the Camp Getaway experience be different from your typical Family Camp?
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, we have cancelled all summer programming at Camp Friedenswald. The Camp Getaway is an alternative to the intensive programming offered during a typical week of Family or Youth Camp that would seek to bring people together. For example, we will not provide staff led activities or childcare. Additionally, buildings that are typically used to gather together (i.e. Dining Hall, Nature Center, Cottonwood Center) will remain closed. While the Camp Getaway WILL be different, we trust that it will be a welcomed opportunity to reconnect in the peaceful woods and a restful time for you and your family.
Imagine waking up to the sound of birdsong; a morning swim in Shavehead Lake; an afternoon nap in the shade; a hike with your family; time with a good book; and an evening around the campfire as the fireflies come out. As you step away from the routines of life at home, we hope and pray that the Camp Getaway will provide you and your family with time to be renewed by the beauty of God’s creation.
What activities will be available during the Camp Getaway? There are a variety of activities available to you and your family including:
- 6 miles of hiking trails with destination points
- Swimming in the lake (diving board/slide)
- Slip-in-slide (for kids!) one afternoon
- Boating (canoe and kayak)
- Playground (with swings) and Gaga ball
- Outdoor basketball, sand volleyball, and tennis court
- Disc golf course
- Carpetball (outdoors)
- Campfire (firewood provided along with fire pit for each cabin)
- Large open spaces for games and play
- Biking (on the main roads around Camp Friedenswald and Shavehead Lake)
What will beach time look like?
In order to provide windows of time for families to enjoy the waterfront without the stress of too many people, the afternoon will be divided up into two blocks of time – one for each cabin area (South/North). This means that the number of families/groups using the beach during those windows will be limited to approximately three families at a time.
Outside the designated windows (1-3 pm and 3-5 pm) the beach will be “open” from 8:30 am – 8 pm. During this time, we ask you observe social distancing and to respect the space of other guests – both on the beach and in the water.
What will mealtime look like?
We think you are going to like this! Each Camp Getaway will include five meals and two snacks. (Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner on Saturday/Wednesday; Breakfast and Lunch on Sunday/Thursday) Click here for a sample menu.
Meals will be delivered directly to your Cabin during a window of time (around 8:30 am / 12:30 pm / 5:30 pm) with all the necessary dishware provided. Each cabin will have an outdoor picnic table provided. At the end of the hour, Camp staff will return to pick up any leftovers and retrieve your dirty dishes. Morning coffee will be delivered at 7:30 am (just bring your own mug/thermos!) Just listen for the sound of the bell to know when it’s time to eat!
Can I bring my own food?
Cabins do not come furnished with a refrigerator or stove, and so we invite you to kick back and relax – and let us do the cooking!
The Camp Getaway is designed as a “package” – and so we ask that everyone participate in the meal plan. Vegetarian and vegan menu options are provided, and other dietary restrictions will be accommodated. Please indicate any dietary restrictions in advance of your arrival on your inquiry form.
What is Camp Friedenswald doing to help reduce the risk of COVID-19 at Camp?
- Camp staff will comply with executive orders from the State of Michigan and follow guidance from the state and CDC
- Camp staff will observe social distancing when interacting with you and will wear a mask if/when interacting indoors
- Camp staff will thoroughly clean and disinfect high touch surfaces in your lodging before your arrival
- Shared indoor common spaces will remain closed (i.e. Dining Hall, Cottonwood Center, Nature Center)
- Shared outdoor spaces with high touch surfaces will be cleaned daily
- Camp staff will be available (by radio) throughout your stay at Camp to address needs and concerns as they arise
- Limited number of people/groups on site at any given time
What expectations does Camp have of me during my stay to help maintain a healthy community?
In compliance with orders from the State of Michigan, and out of a desire to protect the health of camp staff and guests, we ask you to observe and commit to the following:
- Perform a health check before/during/after camp stay
- Stay home if you currently are experiencing, or have experienced, COVID-19 related symptoms in the past 10 days
- Notify Camp staff if you begin to experience symptoms while at Camp (and be prepared to leave immediately)
- Notify Camp staff if COVID-19 symptoms develop for you or someone in your group up to 10 days after leaving Camp
- Follow social distancing guidelines and maintain at least 6 feet distance from people outside your household
- Wear a face mask if/when interacting with someone from outside your household indoors
- Wash hands with soap and water frequently during your stay
- Abide by scheduled beach/activity times in order to allow for social distancing
- Communicate your concern of social distancing directly with other guests, if necessary
I would like to come with another family or group of friends. Can I do that?
Yes, we welcome extended families or groups of friends to inquire about availability for the same weekend. We will do our best to accommodate your requests, when possible.
I’d like to arrive a day earlier (or stay an extra) night. Could I add an additional day to the Getaway?
For now, we cannot accommodate extra nights/days to the Getaway – sorry! As we reopen after months of closure, we want to ensure that we are offering adequate time for cleaning and preparing for the next group of guests. Thanks for understanding!
Can I arrive early?
Yes, there is an option to arrive before the scheduled time, but please note that meals are not served on the arrival date. Please make arrangements in advance so we are ready for you.
What should I pack? Are linens included?
Here’s a list of items you might need (or want) to include. Linens are not provided.
- Sleeping bag/bedding (for twin bed / select cabins have queen bed)
- Towels* (beach/bath and hand towel)
- Toiletries (shampoo, soap, toothpaste, toothbrush, etc.)
- Mosquito/tick repellent
- Hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes
- Coffee mug and drinking cup
- Water bottle
- Table cloth (for picnic table)
- Lawn chairs or hammock
- Beach toys
- Games/playing cards
- Flashlight and/or nightlight
Can I reserve a lodge for my family?
We’d be happy to have you stay in one of our lodges! Contact us at [email protected] for more information about reserving a full lodge for your group. Pricing is available on our website.
Can my friends/family join us just for the day?
We ask that during this time you refrain from inviting visitors to join for the day. We want to be mindful of the number of people at Camp at any giving time, and especially in high-use areas like the beach. If each family invited friends for the day, we’d have more people on-site than we would like to have during this time.
We live nearby and would like to come for the day. Is that an option?
Sorry, at this time we are limiting use of Camp’s beaches and main camp area to those coming as part of the Camp Getaway experience.
Is tent camping available?
We love tent camping, and hope to be able to offer our rustic sites for tent camping before too long! For the time being, and while we’re focusing on the Camp Getaway experience, we will not offer tent camping in order to reduce the number of people on-site at any given point.
What do I need to do before arrival? How do I pay?
In order to reduce the need for close interaction between you and staff, we ask that all paperwork and payment is received in advance of your stay. We will need a copy of a signed contract, COVID-19 release form (one per family), and total payment before your arrival. You can pay online or send payment to: 15406 Watercress Way, Cassopolis, MI 49031
We also ask that everyone in your family conducts a self-health check to ensure that everyone is healthy before coming to Camp. If you or anyone in your family has any of the following symptoms, please stay home.
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
Important note from Camp Friedenswald:
While we are excited to reopen and provide a Camp Getaway, if at any point we determine we are unable to remain open due to safety or health concerns, we reserve the right to modify or cancel any booking. Thanks in advance for your flexibility and patience as we adjust to the changes in operating that are required in the midst of a global pandemic. We care for the health and safety of our staff, campers (you!), and the communities we all are a part of.
Here’s what people are saying about their Camp Getaway:
We felt that Camp did a great job of establishing safety measures and setting the tone of physical distancing needed to make us feel comfortable and to allow for lots of fun activities. We were very glad our kids, who would usually get to be at Camp for a week of summer camp, were able to spend time at Camp. We also very much appreciated to family time, spent in nature. And, so many days into the pandemic, with a lot of time together in the house, it was good to have a different environment and different activities. Thank you!
We honestly give everything 5 stars. I feel like you all thought of everything we needed and then you added some extra things like S’mores, and trail maps in the cabins and delicious desserts that we didn’t even know we needed.
We really appreciated all the amazing activities – the toboggan slide, the water slide, the diving board, the canoes/kayaks, and the amazing food and nightly fires — that we were able to enjoy without feeling over-crowded or otherwise concerned about social distancing. It was a real luxury to be able to get away in this way.
Our family loved not having to worry about coordinating cooking or cleaning. For the introverts, the ability to vacation without any worries AND without any required socializing was perfect. We also enjoyed having our own campfire to sing around and roast s’mores on.
Great chance to relax in a beautiful setting, and it felt like such a safe way to see friends.Quotes from former Camp Getaway campers